On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:01 AM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 2:56 AM, Hinko Kocevar <hinko.koce...@i-tech.si > wrote:
On 04/12/10 11:31, Ngoc Nguyen Bao wrote:
On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Hinko Kocevar <hinko.koce...@i-tech.si > wrote:
Hi,

I've started to look around on how to speed up the Gentoo boot sequence. Looking at the bootchart output I discovered that if using parallel boot feature from the /etc/conf.d/rc (RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes"), things get
done about 9 seconds faster that with RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="no".

Boot time is still at 45 seconds.

Can boot be sped up even more?

Best regards,
Hinko
.

Change to testing branch with base layout 2. Your boot time'll decrease by half.

Thank you!

Hmm, I was looking at the
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml. For OpenRC I added
sys-apps/openrc ~x86 to package.keywords, to get baselayout-2 ebuild
I've added ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to /etc/make.conf.

Will it be enough to (re-)build the baselayout and openrc and its
closest dependencies (41 packages)? Or do I need to perform complete
system upgrade (~900 packages) now that ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is present?

Best regards,
Hinko

Be careful about going ~x86. I just went ~amd64. The OpenRC migration
is painless. The KDE, gnome, xfce4 part hasn't been for me. I'm likely
to remove all environments and apps, add the 41 apps to
package.keywords and be done with it, assuming that actually works and
doesn't uncover other problems.

Read more in a post I just sent before I saw your question.

- Mark

Concider / on SSD, /tmp in RAM, /var on spinning disk.

A free society is a single class society where everyone has the same rights.