Colin wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2005, at 2:54 AM, Greg Bur wrote:
>
>> On 7/23/05, Ian K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>> I have an older laptop that I want to add to my network,
>>> (its a 802.11B one) and I was wondering what brands/models
>>> would work the best under Linux. Im fairly flexible, and would
>>> really not like to tinker with too many drivers. Any good ideas?
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> I've always had good luck with cards that use the Orinoco chipset and
>> the only time I've had to tinder with drivers was when I wanted to get
>> Kismet working with the card.  You should be able to pick one up for
>> under $50.  Check out http://www.proxim.com or
>> http://www.buffalotech.com for more details.
>

> Just remember, if the laptop isn't going too far, a good length of Ye
> Olde Cat5e is a much cheaper solution.  That being said...
>

> Yeah, I picked up a great Orinoco (branded as Enterasys) at
> Rokland.com last month for roughly $50.  Atheros chipset, 802.11a/
> SuperA/b/b+/g/SuperG... very nice.  It works in Windows (with the
> driver CD), Mac OS X (with the shareware OrangeWare driver--totally
> worth the $15 shareware fee) and, naturally, Linux (with MADWIFI).
> It picks up Channels 1 through 14, and can put out up to 100 mW of
> power (40 mW on A networks).
>
> There's no antenna jack, though, but I hear most PCMCIA Orinocoes can
> be modded to include some kind of external jack;  I'm not that
> desperate for power, but with dial-up at home, I might do that mod
> and build a yagi antenna, get in my car, and... well, you get the
> idea. :-)
>
> Still haven't had any luck with KisMAC (the OS X port of Kismet),
> though.  It finds my card but doesn't detect my wireless network...
> I'll figure it out eventually.
> --
> Colin

My other laptop has a nice atheros wireless card, very painless to set
up. I dont know what
chipsets are on what cards, so perhaps you could give me a model name
and brand? I really
just want to be able to goto futureshop and pick one up.. :)
Thank you for understanding my dumbness. :)
Ian

begin:vcard
fn:Ian K
n:K;Ian