From: Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bug
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Date: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 12:12 PM
dan blum wrote:
I run KDE on my system and my clock is wrong. I
corrected several times from KDE, which sets the time to
next boot, when it reverts to the old setting. This looks
like slight bug.

Since mailing list users generally use threaded messages,
please start a new message instead of replying to a old
one.

This may not be a bug.  It depends on how you set your
clock.  You need to check the settings in
/etc/conf.d/clock and make sure you have it set up
correctly.  Also, if you are dual booting with windoze,
that makes you have to have additional settings from what I
have read in the past.  Windoze sets the BIOS clock
differently than Linux.  I don't have windoze so
someone else will have to help with that.

Dale

:-)  :-)

The date command has nothing to do with KDE. The date command is part of this package:

r...@smoker ~ # equery belongs date
 * Searching for date ...
sys-apps/coreutils-8.4 (/bin/date)
r...@smoker ~ #

That is a system package. KDE gets the time info from the system itself. Keep in mind, Linux is a command line OS. You are able to put a GUI such as KDE, Gnome etc etc, on top of that system. Unlike Windoze, you can have a system with absolutely no monitor at all. Heck, most servers run that way. They have no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse or anything of the sort. Most windoze boxes need that and have a GUI even if you don't use the monitor. Gentoo usually teaches a person that. The first time you boot up, if you follow the handbook, you get a command line and nothing else. I usually cheat a little bit and can get a GUI tho. ;-)

Linux has a factory preset but you have to tell it what time zone you are in. Same with any OS I guess. After all, you can have a OS anywhere in the world. The computer has no idea where the heck it is until someone tells it.

Glad you got that one sorted tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)