Daniel,

I have found the line which is at fault in xx-libsane.rules.  Problem
is, what we are doing is a work around:

# Hewlett-Packard Photosmart C5100 series
ATTRS{idVendor}=="03f0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="5811", MODE="0664",
GROUP="lp", ENV$

I have changed the group to lp from scanner so that I could maintain the
file number.  Problem is, if we have MODE="0664", those in the scanner
group should be able to access the printer.  Do you think this suggests
a deeper bug?  I created a testfile in my home directory with stickybits
set to 0664.  I then set ownership to root:scanner.  Of course, I could
edit the file, as I am in the scanner group.  This makes me wonder why
the rules did not apply in /dev/bus/usb/005/005 when this file was set
to 0664 and group to scanner.  I know for sure that the group was
scanner, but I cannot be sure that the file was truly set to 0664.

For now I have the intra-config file workaround.  I will see if I can
mess with things a bit to get things working.

Thanks

ubiquitous1980