CJoeB wrote:
On 05/03/10 10:10, Dale wrote:
I think there is a interactive mode or something too.  It is done by
hitting the "I" key during the first part of the boot up.  Just say No
to xdm or whatever starts your GUI.

Lots of options here.  lol

Dale
Thanks, Dale, for the figurative "whack in the head"!  I knew about
interactive mode, but never even thought of it.   Doing this, I was able
to boot to a command line.  Then, I took Remy's advise and re-emerged
xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-keyboard-mouse.  Turns out that they both
needed updating.  This fixed everything.

Sorry, if I was a little terse.  I panicked.  I keep all responses to
problems I've posted in case I run into the same thing again.  So thanks
guys for coming though for me as always!

Regards,

Colleen

Oh trust me, I knew where you were. I been there. Anyone want me to start talking about the xorg-server upgrade with hal enabled?

I think most people missed the point that your keyboard would not allow you to do anything. I noticed that and knew exactly what position you were in. You also need to make a note about the alt sysrq key sequence as well. That can be a HUGE life saver. It will at least keep you from having to do a hard shutdown. I have had a couple times that I was stuck at the login screen and nothing else would get me back to a console. If you use the alt sysrq sequence, it will at least give you a sane shutdown, even if it is done blindly.

Glad you got it working.

Dale

:-)  :-)