Jose Juan Montiel writes:

> yesterday i finally decide to try Gentoo (I came from debian).

Welcome!

> I follow all step of
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml but when i
> finally go to install gnome...  in the latests package (mailclient or
> something similar) fail...
>
> I would like to know how to skip a failed package of metapackage
> gnome... or how to update to other version (2.28 -> 2.30)...
>
> Sorry for this trivial question ;)

Use emerge --resume --skipfirst to continue where you were, skipping
this package.
Or simply emerge --keep-going <package>, this will continue
automatically even if a package fails.
To compile the package that faileed, there is often a bug report on
bugs.gentoo.org already. Just google for the error message, and if
you're lucky, you will find the solution. If not, just open a new bug
report :)

Oh, and please open a new thread the next time. This one appears under
the openrc thread.

        Wonko