Hi Jose,

Please don't hijack threads. Previous discussion & explanation:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org/msg71515.html

On 13 Jun 2010, at 18:32, Jose Juan Montiel wrote:
yesterday i finally decide to try Gentoo (I came from debian).

I follow all step of http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml

The quick install guide is for users who are already experienced with Gentoo. With a Debian background, you'll probably be fine, but you might find it worth keeping the full install guide handy.

but when i finally go to install gnome... in the latests package (mailclient or something similar) fail...

Have you rebooted the system yet? Don't bother about installing Gnome until you've done so. Be absolutely minimal in your steps, if they're not directly related to having a working system. A DE is eyecandy - just get the disks prepared, the files copied, the kernel installed and the bootloader going. When the system boots for the first time to a plain console you can then log in as root and add ~jose, cron, syslog, GUI (although you'll probably want to install GNU screen a little bit earlier).

I would like to know how to skip a failed package of metapackage gnome... or how to update to other version (2.28 -> 2.30)...

Once you have the system booting you'll be able to copy & paste the full output of the error. Note that most install CDs also offer SSH, if you have another, fully-working system.

Stroller.