On 07/28/2010 07:56 AM, KH wrote:
> Am 28.07.2010 15:45, schrieb Bill Longman:
>> On 07/28/2010 01:50 AM, KH wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
>>> change anything.
>>> Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
>>> boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
>>> mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
>>> /dev/sd*
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Konstantin, please post what your kernel has for IDE support. If you
>> have /proc/config.gz, then please post the results from "zgrep IDE
>> /proc/config.gz" so we can get an idea of why you have no /dev/hd*
>> devices. We will also need to know what kind of disk controller your
>> server really has. Are they IDE or SATA controllers?
>>

> Hi Bill,
>
> Now I am running 2.6.30-r8 but 2.6.34-r1 is ready but not jet copied to
> /boot. btw it is a p3 coppermine.
>
> This is the output from zgrep IDE /proc/config.gz .
>

> CONFIG_HAVE_IDE=y
> CONFIG_IDE=y
> # Please see Documentation/ide/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
> CONFIG_IDE_XFER_MODE=y
> CONFIG_IDE_TIMINGS=y
> CONFIG_IDE_ATAPI=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
> CONFIG_IDE_GD=y
> CONFIG_IDE_GD_ATA=y
> CONFIG_IDE_GD_ATAPI=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD_VERBOSE_ERRORS=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEACPI=y
> # CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set
> CONFIG_IDE_PROC_FS=y
> # IDE chipset support/bugfixes
> CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPNP is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_SFF=y
> # PCI IDE chipsets support
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
> CONFIG_IDEPCI_PCIBUS_ORDER=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> # CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV is not set
> # CONFIG_VIDEO_MEDIA is not set
> # CONFIG_VIDEO_OUTPUT_CONTROL is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
> # CONFIG_PROVIDE_OHCI1394_DMA_INIT is not set

I would expect to see:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y

in your configuration given that it's a Coppermine. You might want to
add that in the 2.6.30 and the 2.6.34 kernels, although DEV_GENERIC
should give you what you need, as you are probably using that right now.

Use "make menuconfig" to configure the kernel. Make sure it's "<*>" not
"<M>" for the PIIX controller and then rebuild and install the kernel.

Do you have "lspci" installed? The results from "lspci -v" would be very
helpful right now.

> I just tried /etc/init.de/udev resart . I am getting errors not to use
> the script with baselayout-1 . The box is very slow now. Will reboot and
> see what baselayout is on it.

Yeah, don't worry about this right now.