On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com<paul.hartman%2bgen...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogor...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > My underling thing, if anyone can make other suggestions, is that my
> camera
> > broke, and I had to get
> > one in a hurry, and didn't really know what to look for.  I wound up with
> > fairly good Sanyo 1080p camera
> > and video recorder that's super light, and not too expensive.  The
> problem
> > is that its videos are MP4s,
> > which are definitely not ready to put on a web site, and I know nothing
> > about transcoding.   My previous
> > camera took acceptable .avi videos, which had worked with most folks
> > browsers.  The MP4s are huge
> > and in a weakly supported format.
>
> You might want to check out kdenlive which is a full-featured video
> editor (using mlt as backend) but includes a simple transcoding
> function and several presets for many different formats (with the
> added bonus that you'll be able to edit your raw video should you so
> desire).

Thanks, I emerged kdenlive.  I can not open my MP4 files, but I can add them
as clips. Okay.

The clips do not play in any reasonable form.  I get moments of sound, and a
few pixels
changing on screen; nothing coherent.  I'd been told that H264 needs a lot
of CPU and I
guess an old 4-core 32-bit XEON (effectively 800 MHz each) on 2 GB ECC DDR1
is not enough.  Okay.

The killer though, is that I cannot figure out how to export that clip in
some other form.
And of course, I'm clueless about what form would be optimum.  Asking for
help takes
me to a forum that has a thread on the topic, but no useful answer.

Is there a kdelive tutorial anywhere?  One basic walkthrough and I'd
probably be able
to figure out the rest of what I want.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD