On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com<paul.hartman%2bgen...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogor...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Paul Hartman
> > <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com <paul.hartman%2bgen...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> nothing
> >>
> >> You might want to check out kdenlive which is a full-featured video
> >> editor (using mlt as backend) but includes a simple transcoding
> >> function and several presets for many different formats (with the
> >> added bonus that you'll be able to edit your raw video should you so
> >> desire).
> >
> > Thanks, I emerged kdenlive.  I can not open my MP4 files, but I can add
> them
> > as clips. Okay.
> >
> > The clips do not play in any reasonable form.  I get moments of sound,
> and a
> > few pixels
> > changing on screen; nothing coherent.  I'd been told that H264 needs a
> lot
> > of CPU and I
> > guess an old 4-core 32-bit XEON (effectively 800 MHz each) on 2 GB ECC
> DDR1
> > is not enough.  Okay.
>
> I don't think you'll be able to play back HD video in real-time on
> that hardware. Even on, for example, Core 2 at 3GHz playing HD video
> used something like 90% CPU (without a hardware mpeg4 decoder).
>
> > The killer though, is that I cannot figure out how to export that clip in
> > some other form.
> > And of course, I'm clueless about what form would be optimum.  Asking for
> > help takes
> > me to a forum that has a thread on the topic, but no useful answer.
>
> You need to add it as a clip, then drag that clip to the timeline in
> the lower half of the window. It may take it a while to process once
> you've dropped it here (I believe it thumbnails/indexes the video).
> It's sort of like a multi-track audio editor, you can overlay effects,
> drag the ends of the video clips to change the start/end point, etc.
> The more effects you add the slower the encoding will be. For example
> I used it on a 5-minute video from my wedding to fade-in and fade-out,
> print a title at the beginning, and normalize the audio. I encoded it
> to a 720p mp4 which I could then upload to YouTube and let YouTube
> re-encode it to lower resolutions for people who can't do HD.
>
> Once you've got your clip on the timeline, to save as another format
> click the "Render" button. In the Render window, you can choose the
> output format. It will give you many options such as MPEG-2, XviD,
> Flash, RealVideo, Theora etc. You can also adjust the output video
> dimensions and bitrate. Hopefully you can find something that will
> work for your audience. If you have other video files that worked well
> for you in the past, you might check out what their specs are and try
> to mimic it.

> [...]
Great!  Thanks for all that useful information.  I think I'll be good from
here.
I was going to upgrade that 2002 Xeon system anyway (but maybe no right
away), but my results now make sense to me, and your information very
clear.

++ kevin
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD