Apparently, though unproven, at 01:38 on Friday 20 August 2010, Peter Humphrey
did opine thusly:

> On Thursday 19 August 2010 21:21:20 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > So I looked up "auto-hinter" in the flagedit(1) program. It says:
> > auto-hinter: Local Flag: Use the unpatented auto-hinter instead
> > of the (recommended) TrueType bytecode interpreter (media-
> > libs/freetype)
> >
> > The placement of the "(recommended)" is just a bit ambiguous.
>
> No, it isn't. You may be being confused by the unnecessary inclusion of
> brackets (parentheses if you're American); remove them and you see that
> the TrueType byte-code interpreter is recommended. Or, just consider the
> phrase "the recommended TrueType bytecode interpreter", with or without
> brackets. I can't see how that could be thought ambiguous.

The parenthesis is actually correct as the recommendation is just an aside
comment in this context. The sentence expands to:

instead of the TrueType bytecode interpreter (TrueType is the recommended
interpreter to use btw)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com