Apparently, though unproven, at 15:25 on Saturday 21 August 2010, Alex
Schuster did opine thusly:

> Hi there!
>
> I want to monitor the power status of my hard drives, so I wrote a little
> script that gives me this output:
>
> sda: standby
> sdb: standby
> sdc: active/idle 32°C
> sdd: active/idle 37°C
>
> This script is called every minute via an fcron entry, output goes into a
> log file, and I use the file monitor plasmoid to watch this log file in
> KDE.
>
> It's working fine, but  also monitor my syslog in another file monitor
> plamoid, and now I get lots of these entries:
>
> Aug 21 14:21:06 [fcron] pam_unix(fcron:session): session opened for user
> root by (uid=0) Aug 21 14:21:06 [fcron] Job /usr/local/sbin/hdstate >>
> /var/log/hdstate started for user root (pid 24483) Aug 21 14:21:08 [fcron]
> Job /usr/local/sbin/hdstate >> /var/log/hdstate completed Aug 21 14:21:08
> [fcron] pam_unix(fcron:session): session closed for user root
>
> There is a nolog option for fcrontab, but I still get this output every
> minute:

That will tell fcron not to log stuff.
It will not tell other apps to not stuff

> Aug 21 15:10:06 [fcron] pam_unix(fcron:session): session opened for user
> root by (uid=0) Aug 21 15:10:08 [fcron] pam_unix(fcron:session): session
> closed for user root
>
> Hmmm... could it be that these entries do not come from fcron itself, but
> from PAM?

Yes.

Configure your syslogger to devnull these specific entries.
All three common sysloggers (syslogd,syslog-ng,rsyslog) all come with
extensive documentation on how to do this.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com