Stroller writes:

> The script with which you reply is missing the sleep 60 loop.

No, it's only the script that outputs the drive's state. It's called by
~/.kde4/Autostart/hdstate:

#!/bin/bash

while :
do
        /usr/local/sbin/hdstate >> ~/log/hdstate.log
        sleep 10
done

> Running a script which contains `while true ... sleep 60` will cause
> only a single logging action. You can run it as root at startup using /
> etc/conf.d/local.start and have the file world readable.

Yeah, local.start woudl also be a good idea, without the need to setuid
things. Maybe I'll change this.

BTW, my two additional drives spin up when I log into KDE. Weird, they are
not even mounted.

        Wonko