Ajai Khattri writes:

> OK, Ive managed to proceed a little further, but now Im encountering
> this:
>
> # emerge -uDtpvk world
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been
> pulled
> !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
[...]
> Not sure what this message means?

It means that portage wants to install both dev-php/PEAR-PEAR-1.9.0 and
dev-php/PEAR-PEAR-1.6.2-r1 at the same time. I don't understand why, looks
to me like it should keep you already installed 1.6.2-r1 version.
Do you need to have this package in world? Does the conflict also happen
if not?

In case you are running portage 2.1, you might give 2.2 a try. It is
better at resolving such stuff, but still fails sometimes.

No more ideas,

        Wonko