On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, Alex Schuster wrote:

It means that portage wants to install both dev-php/PEAR-PEAR-1.9.0 and
dev-php/PEAR-PEAR-1.6.2-r1 at the same time. I don't understand why, looks
to me like it should keep you already installed 1.6.2-r1 version.
Do you need to have this package in world? Does the conflict also happen
if not?

In case you are running portage 2.1, you might give 2.2 a try. It is
better at resolving such stuff, but still fails sometimes.

I decided to uninstall PEAR-PEAR to get past this (I figured I could always reinstall later after I finish all other updates).

So far so good, thanks.