On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 09/07/2010 08:11 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<rea...@arcor.de>  wrote:
>>>
>>> When I try to launch a Windows program in Wine (1.3.2), an error dialog
>>> appears informing me that Gecko is not installed and the program might
>>> not
>>> work (which it doesn't).  It has an "install" button there, but mentions
>>> that it would be better if the distro, Gentoo in this case, would offer
>>> it
>>> and install it from there.
>>
>> I have it on my system as part of wine. I can run "wine iexplore" and
>> I get the WINE Internet Explorer and it can successfully load web
>> pages.
>>
>> $ equery b /usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab
>>  * Searching for /usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab ...
>> app-emulation/wine-1.3.1 (/usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab)
>
> The file is here too.  So I guess it's supposed to be installed manually by
> the user?

I believe it should install automatically (when it gives you the
message about it not being installed). I don't remember ever having to
do anything special.

I wonder if you rename your .wine directory & start with a fresh wine
configuration if it will work then?

Otherwise, this appears to have the manual installation instructions:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3911037&postcount=4

Good luck :)