> gentoo is run emerge, study output, understand all of it, consider what
> flameeyes has to say about it, wonder if some screw ball fucked up glibc yet
> again, discuss in upgrade meetings, then proceed with lots of other crap ad
> nauseam.

That's why a was talking of CentOs as fist step. Conservative,
unexperimental approach.

Then you have those guys, that deal with 130 different machines now.
Once uniformly, they could all do Gentoo debugging and patching. The
distro would instantly work as smooth you want it.

> It's 130 different configs on 150 machines serving 30 different systems, many
> of them legacy systems. Management once asked what it will take to unlegacy
> all of that. They didn't like my answer:
>
> Triple the salary budget
> Two years.

That's cheap. Isn't a factor of ten always more to the truth?

Al