On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Darren Kirby <bulli...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I am wondering if I should just uninstall KNetworkManager, and try
> nm-applet? Will that even work on a KDE desktop? Will it require
> installing boatloads of gnome crap I don't want? Should I chuck the
> whole works and use Wicd?

I don't know about KNetworkManager, but nm-applet under GNOME works
flawless and without need of any configuration. You just need to
disable the Gentoo network scripts (with RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*" in
/etc/conf.d/rc) and off you go. No need to change any other
configuration file.

As I understand, nm-applet uses the Freedesktop standar for
notification areas, so it should work with KDE. It will pull part of
the GNOME stack, obviously, but is really minimal:

RDEPEND=">=dev-libs/glib-2.16
        >=dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.74
        >=sys-apps/dbus-1.2
        >=x11-libs/gtk+-2.14
        >=gnome-base/gconf-2.20
        >=gnome-extra/polkit-gnome-0.92
        >=x11-libs/libnotify-0.4.3
        >=gnome-base/libglade-2
        >=gnome-base/gnome-keyring-2.20

        >=dev-libs/libnl-1.1
        >=net-misc/networkmanager-${PV}
        >=net-wireless/wireless-tools-28_pre9
        >=net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-0.5.7
        net-misc/mobile-broadband-provider-info
        bluetooth? ( >=net-wireless/gnome-bluetooth-2.27.6 )"

And probably you already have most of those packages.

I used to have my own scripts and utilities, and back in the day I
knew wpa_supplicant like the palm of my hand. Now not so much; it's
not worth it. The GUI utilities (or at least those from GNOME, which
is my preferred desktop) never really fail any more.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Instituto de Matemáticas