On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Darren Kirby <bulli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> I am wondering if I should just uninstall KNetworkManager, and try
>> nm-applet? Will that even work on a KDE desktop? Will it require
>> installing boatloads of gnome crap I don't want? Should I chuck the
>> whole works and use Wicd?
>
> I don't know about KNetworkManager, but nm-applet under GNOME works
> flawless and without need of any configuration. You just need to
> disable the Gentoo network scripts (with RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*" in
> /etc/conf.d/rc) and off you go. No need to change any other
> configuration file.

I did already edit RC_PLUG_SERVICES to override udev...

I guess it works fine without configuration for everyone but me...I get this:

** (nm-applet:24816): WARNING **: <WARN>  request_name(): Could not
acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service.
  Error: (9) Connection ":1.35" is not allowed to own the service
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings" due to security policies
in the configuration file

So then I add this:

        <policy group="plugdev">
                <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>

                <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
                       send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
        </policy>

to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-applet.conf but it still doesn't work. I
don't even know if that's right, I know nothing of writing dbus policy
rules. You say you didn't have to configure anything?  I don't know,
it says 'WARNING' rather than error, but 'ps' shows no nm-applet
running. Is it just supposed to show up on the panel or what?

> As I understand, nm-applet uses the Freedesktop standar for
> notification areas, so it should work with KDE. It will pull part of
> the GNOME stack, obviously, but is really minimal:
>
> RDEPEND=">=dev-libs/glib-2.16
>        >=dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.74
>        >=sys-apps/dbus-1.2
>        >=x11-libs/gtk+-2.14
>        >=gnome-base/gconf-2.20
>        >=gnome-extra/polkit-gnome-0.92
>        >=x11-libs/libnotify-0.4.3
>        >=gnome-base/libglade-2
>        >=gnome-base/gnome-keyring-2.20
>
>        >=dev-libs/libnl-1.1
>        >=net-misc/networkmanager-${PV}
>        >=net-wireless/wireless-tools-28_pre9
>        >=net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-0.5.7
>        net-misc/mobile-broadband-provider-info
>        bluetooth? ( >=net-wireless/gnome-bluetooth-2.27.6 )"
>
> And probably you already have most of those packages.

Yes, I only had to install 8 new ones.

> I used to have my own scripts and utilities, and back in the day I
> knew wpa_supplicant like the palm of my hand. Now not so much; it's
> not worth it. The GUI utilities (or at least those from GNOME, which
> is my preferred desktop) never really fail any more.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Canek Peláez Valdés
> Instituto de Matemáticas
> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Still frustrated that not a damn thing seems to work,
Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
I'm on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/badcomputer/