On 13 October 2010 07:12, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Whenever I see something that eventually works, but only after a long
> delay, I think of DNS problems.
>
> Who might be doing a nonsensical DNS lookup, I have no idea.  But you
> might consider running a packet sniffer (wireshark, etc) while logging
> in or doing an su.  Are you running your own local name server?

Very very intersting!!

The main correlation I've seen so far is with dhcpcd.  Sometimes at my
work I get a 192. IP (which doesn't work), and other times I get a
133. IP (which is correct).  In fact, sometimes dhcp is giving me an
IP address and resolv.conf related to a university I was visiting like
a month ago.

In other words, I know I have some networking problems, but I was
reluctant to imagine it was at all related to this login problem, even
though I had some basic empirical data on it.

Anyway, it happened again tonight, and it was resolved after I did
some of the same emerges as before, but I think that might be just
chance.

I look into the DNS stuff.  Thanks for the sanity check!

~daid

PS: Sorry for the initial top posting on myself...