Well, I got it to boot.  Now that it's up, I can see what the problem was/is.
There are no disk device files in /dev.

I created the appropriate nodes and things went much better.

The problem was that CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 was on

I just closed up the chassis and it will ship in the morning.

Thank you for your help!

Mike.

--

Take care and have fun,