On 22 October 2010 11:02, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well here it seems that openrc is going ~arch
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-688090.html
>
> So has it been decided that openrc is the way forward?
>

> Any caveats with openrc we should be aware of?

Just to put in my two cents, which is largely a smaller general point
and not related to the fairly informative discussion regarding openrc
itself.

Basically, any time I do a major update like this, I make a disk image
styled backup.  I run other backups more regularly (rsnapshot), but if
something hits the fan on an update and I don't have the time,
patience, or luck to fix it right away, then I just toss my system
back to exactly how it was without fretting.  These days it's either
the first point (a matter of time right then) or just a comfort factor
from my older days of doing large Gentoo updates and not knowing a lot
of the basics of how to properly update.

Anyway, systemrescuecd or even something simple like gparted live cd
will have partimage which is a quick and easy tool for full backups.
Just don't turn off the 2GB file size if you use the gzip option
(something goes wrong that I forget now).  Of course you can even use
dd if you it's your style.

I'm aware this strays slightly from the main question asked here, but
I think that question was considered already by others.

That being said, I too did the openrc migration a long ways back and
it was fine.  I also agree with the general sentiment that sticking
with ARCH or ~ARCH makes more sense.  But if you have some time right
now to do updates and plan to be really busy in the near future, then
that could be a reason to do such an update.

~daid