On Wednesday 10 November 2010 18:05:40 Paul Hartman wrote:
> 2010/11/10 Fatih Tümen <fthtmn+gen...@gmail.com>:
> > On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 23:52, Paul Hartman
> >
> > <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,

<snipped>

> Last night I took it to full charge, put in memtest86+ boot CD and the
> system lasted 9 minutes before battery was drained. So that matches
> the 1/3 batter life I experienced under normal usage, too.
>
> I just read somewhere on WWW that sometimes better calibration can be
> achieved by leaving battery completely drained for some time (more
> than 5 hours) before plugging the charger back in. So I'll try that as
> one last desperate hope. If the cells are dead then I can't do any
> more harm to them so why not try it? :)

If these are discharged too far (The circuitry in the battery-pack should
prevent this) the cells can get permanently damaged. This seems to have
happened.
Best practices for batteries (any type, apart from Lead Acid ;) ) is to take
them out of the laptop when running for long periods from the mains. This is
to prevent the batteries from being constantly charged.

> Now, since this is an old laptop (6 years) I am skeptical about buying
> a replacement battery that may have been sitting in a stockroom for
> several years. Local battery store wants more than US$100 for a "name
> brand" replacement (Rayovac). Online, I can find one for less than
> half that price, but I am really suspicious about the quality. My past
> experience of buying generic laptop batteries online has not been
> good. Don't fit properly, poor lifespan, etc.

<snipped>

If these batteries have been charged to 70% before storage, they can last a
while, but one should still top them up to 70% once every year or so.

> Has anyone tried to replace the cells inside their own battery? I'm
> reading this site:
> http://www.electronics-lab.com/articles/Li_Ion_reconstruct/
>
> Seems kind of dangerous... I can't price the cells because I haven't
> opened my battery pack, so I don't know if it's really any cheaper
> than buying a new one.

Actually, it is dangerous and I wouldn't trust the batterypack anywhere near
my laptop after a procedure like that.

If the soldering isn't done correctly, the battery-pack can literally explode
when put under load.

--
Joost Roeleveld