Apparently, though unproven, at 15:28 on Tuesday 16 November 2010, Mick did
opine thusly:

> On 16 November 2010 09:00, Stefan G. Weichinger <li...@xunil.at> wrote:
> > Am 15.11.2010 23:50, schrieb Mick:
> >> Thanks Stefan, I'm afraid I'm still getting the same problem:
> >>
> >> rsync: opendir "/mnt/User_WinXP/System Volume Information" failed:
> >> Permission denied (13)
> >>
> >> Why is rsync trying to open this directory, when I thought I've asked it
> >> to exclude it?
> >
> > Maybe you did it wrong?
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > You don't show us what you did ...
>
> I ran the same as before but changed the path to the one you suggested:
>
> ===============================
> 'rsync -a -l -v --exclude "./System Volume Information"
> -e "ssh -c blowfish -l root" /mnt/User_WinXP/
> 10.10.10.25:/home/httpd/backup'
>
> sending incremental file list
> rsync: opendir "/mnt/User_WinXP/System Volume Information" failed:
> Permission denied (13)
>
> [snip ...]
>
> rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous
> errors) (code 23) at main.c(1042) [sender=3.0.7]
> ===============================
>
> The System Volume is shown as 0700 (mounted with default permissions)
> and is owned by root when viewed from Gentoo.

Don't think of --exclude as being a file path match, think of it as more a
regex (usually just a literal one). It specifies a pattern that if found if
the full pathname, results in the file not being synced.

The string "./System Volume Information" of course appears nowhere in the
rsync output list of files.

I think you want:

--exclude "/System Volume Information"

Then rsync will not attempt to open the directory at all

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com