Apparently, though unproven, at 18:29 on Friday 19 November 2010, Peter
Humphrey did opine thusly:

> Hello list,
>
> Just to expose my ignorance again, would someone lift my blinkers
> please? I'm recovering from an infection and my brain is stuck.
>
> It's time to start pruning old stuff from the website I run, which has
> 2200 files in 200 directories.
>
> I'm trying to find old images like this:
> find . -iname \*.jpg -exec ls '-cdl' {} \; | cut -d \  -f 5-10
>
> But this excludes the year (even though listing an old file manually
> shows the year if it's over 12 months old), so I can't use that to
> decide. If I do this:
> find . -iname \*.jpg -exec ls '-cdl "--time-style=full-iso"' {} \; |\
>       cut -d \  -f 5-10
> I get an error message: ls: invalid option -- ' '
>
> Why does ls differ when executed by find from on the command line?
>
> Is there a simple way to do this? Ideally I'd like a chronologically
> ordered list of the files. I have noatime set in fstab, so I'll have to
> rely on creation or modification date.

There's no such thing as file creation time on Unix - that has never been
recorded.

ctime is the time the *inode* was last changed
mtime is the time the *file contents* was changed

Having said that it seems to me you want the -mtime option to find, followed
by -ls to display everything in detail.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com