On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 2:47 PM, kashani <kashani-l...@badapple.net> wrote:

> On 11/15/2010 8:37 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>
>> Color me stupid.  It was stopped.  It started when I told it to in
>> /etc/init.d.
>> Now I have to wonder what stopped it.  Judging from the mail that got
>> through all of a sudden, I guess it stopped
>> about 2 weeks ago.  I'll have to watch this...
>>

>        IIRC updates of the Postfix package that could in result in data
> loss of queued mail will shutdown Postfix before preceding. Looks like
> Postfix 2.7.1 hit on Nov 4 and 2.6.7 has been in the system since June. I'd
> bet you ran the update, Postfix shutdown for safety, and you missed the
> screen output about restarting it.
>
> kashani
>
> That's probably right.  Emerges that take days have trained me to not to
watch them happen.  I read the latest elog of all packages once a month,
some send me mail; but if Postfix shut down before delivery, I would not get
it at all.  I use elogviewer once a month, so I'll probably see it in a
couple of weeks.

It's nice to know what happened.  Not much mail actually goes through this
system, so while this has
been something of a puzzle, no major harm was done.  It's nice to have the
explanation.

Thanks.

++ kevin

--