http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&cat3_no=&prod_no=1856

> If that link don't work, it is a MSI 790XT-G45 mobo.
>
> I do most of my shopping on newegg and was looking for a CPU heat
sink
> to go on that bad boy.  The MSI website says AM2+.  When I start to
> looking on newegg, there are several sockets that have AM2+ in it.
My
> question is, which is which or will any of them fit?
>
> The CPU I am looking at is a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb
> 3.0GHz and it says it is a AM2+ as well.  I assume that will fit the
> mobo?  ;-)   It doesn't come with a cooler tho.
>
> I may end up picking something else for the mobo and CPU but I do
want
> to figure out what the differences are between these socket types and
> what fits what.  Explanations are good and links are good too.
> Pictures may even be better.  lol

Yes all HSF for AM2/AM2+/AM3 should work with your CPU. A good one
(price/performance) would be this one :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082

But may I suggest that you buy another mobo. It's not that cheap and lack
some features :

1. It utilizes DDR2. I think you want this to get that OEM AMD CPU but
it's not worth in my opinion. DDR2 modules are generally more expensive
than DDR3 ones and will be more so in future.

2. No USB 3 ports. May not be that important but it's available already
in most motherboards.

3. No SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. No big deal in general but might become
important if you buy a high performance solid state disk.

4. No e-sata port.

A few options for you :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157197 (no 6Gb/s
and only 1 USB 3 port but very inexpensive)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131660 (no
6Gb/s, no e-sata, VIA audio codec, but 2 usb 3 ports)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157192 (VIA
audio codec, only 1 USB 3 port, up to 2 firewire port, 1 e-sata 6Gb/s,
all the features, good price)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130269
(everything right and better components, a little expensive of course)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435 (great
layout, high quality components, lacks e-sata though, but lots of
expansion slots, expensive of course but a great one)

Good luck