wrote:

> Currently all VM's are XP Home based. I do have Win 7 Home
> Professional also locally but not on the remote PC.

In that case you'll need VNC server on the remote WinXP.  Instead of the
complexity of opening ports on the remote router to allow a VNC session
connection, I would suggest to connect to it using a VNC client from your
forwarded X11 session on your Linux host.

> <SNIP>
>
> > I'm not 100% clear how you're doing things at the moment. Are you using
> > an X11 connection to view the screen at the moment? If so I would
> > certainly try a VNC connection. I have this notion that VM screen
> > viewers may use VNC themselves. The free version of RealVNC server can
> > run at start up, and allows you to remotely click on the duck to login.
>
> I'm using ssh to forward X to my local machine. There is no 'screen'
> (in terms of a monitor anyway) at the remote. There's just an X app
> (vmplayer hosting XP) running on the remote screen and being displayed
> locally.
>
> > Remote viewing on a home DSL connection can be very frustrating.
>
> Yes, I agree. I have direct experience on the speed, etc., of doing
> that as I do things like set up cups on the remote machine using
> Firefox, etc., so I know the speed of this link.
>
> The thing that has been _very_ different about running vmplayer is not
> the graphics speed, where you'd expect the most data to be sent, but
> actually just the mouse operation being so slow.

If the speed is too slow due to packet fragmentation, try setting a smaller
MTU on both local and remote machines and if that doesn't work, then you may
want to try a direct VNC session from your local to your remove VM-WinXP.

However, you may stumble on configuring the DSL router remotely which if you
have its passwd should not be too difficult.
--
Regards,
Mick