meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
Hi,

For my MSI GT430 (nvidia) graphics card I am using
the x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.29.

But there seems to be something wrong:
When playing videos with faster movements
I see heavy distortions around these parts
of the screen.

Previously I fixed this for another nvidia
card by enabling different sync options
in the nvidia-setting dialog and was happy
that these distortion dont come back, when
I switched to this newer card.

Now: There're back despite my hopes...

I started glxgears and got this output
on the console:

     Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
     approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
     74062 frames in 5.0 seconds = 14812.268 FPS
     77502 frames in 5.0 seconds = 15500.350 FPS
     XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server
":0.0"
         after 57 requests (57 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

The second sentence say, that there is a syncing active and will get
the refresh rate of the monitor (a LCD screen) back. This wouild be
around 60Hz as far as I know.

And then, the measurements show 15500.350 FPS...

Which slightl above 60 Hz....

To sync or not to sync, that seems to be the question...

By the way: Distortion can be watched as when using mplayer
as with vlc. I recompiled both just to get sure, but it does
not help. The machine is definetly fast enough to play videos
(AMD Phenom II X6 1090T)....

How can I get back the undistorted screen?

Thank you very much in advance for any help !
Best regards,
mcc

I would check the log files and see if they shed some light on this. I would check dmesg, messages and Xorg.0.log as well. The last one may show the best clues. If nothing there points to anything good, I would post the xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as attachments.

I have a CPU like yours except 4 core and a little GT-220 card, wimpy compared to yours. What you see about the refresh rates is displayed on my machine too. The last part appears because you hit the close window X instead of doing a ctrl c to stop glxgears. If you start glxgears and do a ctrl c to stop it, the last part won't be there. I mention this because that *may* have nothing to do with the problem you are having. This is what happens when I run glxgears:

fireball ~ # glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
27770 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5553.918 FPS
9783 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1955.847 FPS
3084 frames in 5.0 seconds = 616.716 FPS
3085 frames in 5.0 seconds = 616.942 FPS
3105 frames in 5.0 seconds = 620.981 FPS
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
      after 42 requests (42 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
fireball ~ # glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
14932 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2985.639 FPS
3011 frames in 5.0 seconds = 602.125 FPS
^C
fireball ~ #

The last one was stopped with a ctrl c as you can see. The first was closed by hitting the close window button.

If this doesn't help, at least you know to post the files so we can look them over. Maybe someone will notice something out of place.

Dale

:-)  :-)