On Sunday 19 December 2010 21:35:57 Dale wrote:
> Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 December 2010 13:17:51 Dale wrote:
> >> I found a how to.  I read it.  This is what I got out of it.  It
> >> sounds like I need to let the modem use DHCP with the phone company.
> >
> > Correct.
> >
> >> Then I need to set the ethernet that comes toward the router to say
> >> 192.168.1.2 then set the router to 192.168.1.5 or something to come
> >> to my puter.
> >
> > Those two addresses must be on the same network segment, but they aren't
> > - you have your router in between (it routes traffic between one network
> > segment and the other). The side of the router that's connected to the
> > modem can have that address, but the side that's connected to your
> > computers can't have 192.168.1.X. Try 192.168.2.1, say, and your
> > computers 192.168.2.2, 192.168.2.3, ...
> >
> >> Best I can figure, no two can have the same IP.  Each device has two
> >> IPs, one coming in, one going out.
> >
> > Yes, each address belongs to an interface, not to a computer, modem etc.
> > Think of it as the address of one end of a piece of wire.
> >
> >> I think the how to may have made this worse.   :-(
> >
> > Nah - sounds to me like you're getting there...     :-)
>
> Ohhhh.  Light bulb moment here, I think.  The modem has a network, even
> tho it only has one device connected to it.  The router has its own
> network but can have 4 devices connected to it.  So, if the modem has
> 192.168.1.1 >255 then the router needs 192.168.2.1 >255 which is two
> separate networks.

If I follow you correctly, then yes

> So, if that is true, set the modem to 192.168.1.1 for its IP.  Then set
> the router to to 192.168.2.1 for it's network.  That would give my puter
> a IP and the second puter another IP and they can talk to each other
> since they are on the same network.  Is my light bulb OK so far?

If I follow you correctly, then yes

In schema form:

INTERNET --- <DHCP from ISP> [Modem] <192.168.1.1>---<192.168.1.2> [ROUTER]
<192.168.2.1> ----- (Other PCs = 192.168.2.2...192.168.2.254)

(Above should have been a single line)

> By the way, I feel asleep watching TV, missed my show too.  The internet
> was still up when I got up.  I think that setting on the modem got
> changed during a reset, upgrade on its software or something.  It
> updates software automatically.

Always usefull :/

Btw, if you use ADSL, an ADSL Modem/Router combination might be easier to
maintain as then you have the Internet-address and LAN network done correctly
with default settings.
Or, if your Modem supports it, set it to "bridge" mode so your Router thinks
it's connected directly to the ISP

--
Joost