J. Roeleveld wrote:
On Sunday 19 December 2010 21:35:57 Dale wrote:
Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Sunday 19 December 2010 13:17:51 Dale wrote:
I found a how to.  I read it.  This is what I got out of it.  It
sounds like I need to let the modem use DHCP with the phone company.
Correct.

Then I need to set the ethernet that comes toward the router to say
192.168.1.2 then set the router to 192.168.1.5 or something to come
to my puter.
Those two addresses must be on the same network segment, but they aren't
- you have your router in between (it routes traffic between one network
segment and the other). The side of the router that's connected to the
modem can have that address, but the side that's connected to your
computers can't have 192.168.1.X. Try 192.168.2.1, say, and your
computers 192.168.2.2, 192.168.2.3, ...

Best I can figure, no two can have the same IP.  Each device has two
IPs, one coming in, one going out.
Yes, each address belongs to an interface, not to a computer, modem etc.
Think of it as the address of one end of a piece of wire.

I think the how to may have made this worse.   :-(
Nah - sounds to me like you're getting there...     :-)
Ohhhh.  Light bulb moment here, I think.  The modem has a network, even
tho it only has one device connected to it.  The router has its own
network but can have 4 devices connected to it.  So, if the modem has
192.168.1.1>255 then the router needs 192.168.2.1>255 which is two
separate networks.
If I follow you correctly, then yes

So, if that is true, set the modem to 192.168.1.1 for its IP.  Then set
the router to to 192.168.2.1 for it's network.  That would give my puter
a IP and the second puter another IP and they can talk to each other
since they are on the same network.  Is my light bulb OK so far?
If I follow you correctly, then yes

In schema form:

INTERNET ---<DHCP from ISP>  [Modem]<192.168.1.1>---<192.168.1.2>  [ROUTER]
<192.168.2.1>  ----- (Other PCs = 192.168.2.2...192.168.2.254)

(Above should have been a single line)

By the way, I feel asleep watching TV, missed my show too.  The internet
was still up when I got up.  I think that setting on the modem got
changed during a reset, upgrade on its software or something.  It
updates software automatically.
Always usefull :/

Btw, if you use ADSL, an ADSL Modem/Router combination might be easier to
maintain as then you have the Internet-address and LAN network done correctly
with default settings.
Or, if your Modem supports it, set it to "bridge" mode so your Router thinks
it's connected directly to the ISP

--
Joost

I got to do some more work then. Right now, I can see the router but I can't get to the modem. I did get a static IP for my puter but I think I need to adjust it based on what you said was correct.

Even tho I can't get to the modem, the internet works. Sort of weird but I think I know why. I'll play with it some in a little bit.

Is there a tool that will show how the network is set up? Sort of like a flow chart?

Dale

:-)  :-)