On 12/19/2010 09:25 PM, Andy Wilkinson wrote:

To make matters worse, when gvfs/nautilus doesn't see the camera at all,
> I have no idea at all how to find out what messages might have been sent
> where, or why gvfs might not be seeing it...

I use gnome, but have no camera so I can't give specific advise.  But in
general I try to get behind the gui by starting an app (like gphoto2) from
a command prompt to see what error messages it may print.

Some gui apps may have an optional flag like -v or --debug that will print
more messages.  (Or start it as "strace gphoto2" for even more fun.)

I've never actually found a use for the various gvfs commandline apps, like
gvfs-info et al, but you might be able to use them for debugging this puzzle.
Worth fiddling with them, anyway.

I've noticed several times that the gentoo-stable gnome is running mismatched
versions of gnome apps, and if I just wait long enough the right version of
something-or-other will be installed and something broken will start working
again.  The ~ version of gnome actually has fewer problems that way than the
stable version.