On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Andy Wilkinson <drukar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, the only issue that I consistently have in Gentoo anymore is that there
> exist periods of time (probably coincident with gphoto2 or gvfs upgrades)
> wherein I can't automount my PTP digital camera (a Nikon D60, if it's
> relevant) and use gthumb to import my photos.  I'm able to use gphoto2 to do
> so just fine, and so I do, but it bothers me that the way I'd prefer to do
> things doesn't work the way I'd like it to.  Currently I'm in a "doesn't
> work" phase, as you may have surmised.
>
> To make matters worse, when gvfs/nautilus doesn't see the camera at all, I
> have no idea at all how to find out what messages might have been sent
> where, or why gvfs might not be seeing it, or what-have-you.  None of the
> usual suspects (dmesg, /var/log/messages, ~/.xsession-errors) have anything
> useful.  dmesg does at least tell me that I'm seeing the USB device
> properly.
>
> Is there a tried-and-true method of at least troubleshooting this sort of
> issue, or am I stuck throwing darts at the different gphoto2 and gvfs builds
> in portage?

Hi,

Probably more important is libgphoto2 instead of gphoto2 standalone
package. libgphoto2 includes the udev rules for digital cameras, for
example. (You might need to change the default mode that they set.)
Your user needs to be in the plugdev group, too.

Does it work as root? If so then maybe it's a permission issue.

I don't use any of the software you've mentioned except for gphoto2,
so I'm not sure how they work but you can do the usual monitoring udev
(using udevadm) and dbus (using dbus-monitor) etc. to see what's going
on. Maybe there'll be some error or something will stand out as being
obviously wrong.