Allan Gottlieb wrote:
Vincent-Xavier JUMEL<endymion+gen...@thetys-retz.net>  writes:

Le 20 décembre à 15:12 Allan Gottlieb a écrit
Something seems wrong.
Yesterday depclean removed hal and then xdm wouldn't run.
Re-merging hal (with -1) fixed this, but again today depclean wants to
remove it.

Have you look on how X.org packages are built on your computer. You
should build it with udev support.
I think it is enabled for xorg-server

gottl...@ajglap ~ $ eix xorg-server
[I] x11-base/xorg-server
      Available versions:  1.7.6 1.7.7-r1 [m](~)1.8.2 [m](~)1.9.2
[m](~)1.9.2.902 {debug dmx doc hal ipv6 kdrive minimal nptl sdl static-libs
tslib +udev xorg}
      Installed versions:  1.7.7-r1(09:59:41 AM 12/19/2010)(ipv6 kdrive nptl
sdl xorg -debug -dmx -hal -minimal -tslib)
      Homepage:            http://xorg.freedesktop.org/

To be sure I temporarily added it to make.conf but an emerge update
world did not want to merge any packages

I can easily add hal to world, but should xdm depend on it?
I still wonder why xdm, which claims to need hal doesn't depend on it
and why suddenly depclean wants to remove it.

allan

I'm running amd64 here but xdm doesn't show it needing hal here. It's not even in the USE flags and I did a emerge -epv xdm and it still didn't show it. It did pull in policykit tho.

Could it be that it doesn't use hal anymore and you need to figure out what it is using? I know hal is going away but I haven't read that it already was. That said, I did notice that policykit was pulled in yesterday. Of course, xdm doesn't show it needs it either. Could it be udev?

I hope this gives you ideas.

Dale

:-)  :-)