walt wrote:
On 12/19/2010 05:28 PM, Dale wrote:
I want fireball to get a fixed IP from the router and I want smoker
> to get a fixed IP from the router. I think I know how to do that much.

When I first set up my TrendNet router I worried about that, too.  After
spending many hours doing exactly what you're doing, I finally noticed
that the DHCP server running on the router always assigned each machine
the same IP address anyway, so I gave up and used the default router
settings for everything and got fixed IP addresses by default.

I believe the router assigns IP addresses based on the MAC address of
each ethernet chip. At least the router's configuration menu lets me
make adjustments based on MAC addresses, but I'm just guessing there.

If your router does the same, you can add smoker and fireball to your
/etc/hosts using the IP addresses that your router (always) assigns
them, so you can address them each by name on your local network.

I also noticed by using a port scanner on my router that it listens
on port 23 as well as port 80, so I can telnet to the router and really
look under the hood at its linux guts.  I don't think the manual gave
that secret away, IIRC.

I noticed the modem does the same thing too. When I plug the router into the modem, it gets a different IP. The router does the same tho I think. Since I got it set up this way and it works, I better leave well enough alone. ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)