On Sunday 09 January 2011 22:54:14 walt wrote:

> This mess goes back to IBM's decision to use the Intel 8086 CPU in
> their shiny new PC

What? Little-endian hardware? Crackers: backwards thinking, which
Americans seem to me to be prone to. And yes, I did spend two years
working in Minneapolis 20 years ago.

In the predecessor of that project we had to write common code to run
equally well on  a GEC machine, with a hardware limit of 8KB of process
space but a highly efficient scheduler, and on a Ferranti Argus 700 in
which a process could be any size but you couldn't have too many of
them. The project failed of course, having been specified by the hardware
department: yet another stupid decision. It was replaced with another
project that bought a system in from another continent. Anyone remember
Empros? Defunct, after gargantuan efforts by all concerned. Whose
interest was that in?

> and then hire Bill Gates and Paul Allen to write/steal DOS.

Just about the worst decision ever taken. And that includes politicians.
All of them.

> The result was a brain-dead booting scheme which has been holding
> back the Intel/x86 world to this very day.  (But they all made a
> huge bundle of cash along the way.)

Capitalism? Greed in another word. (Why use one syllable when 5 will
do?)

> Meanwhile we have a truckload of hacks like lilo, grub1, grub2,
> syslinux, not to mention M$ boot loaders, which morph with every new
> release of Windows.

Come on, why don't you tell us what you think? Don't hold back - I
haven't.

--
Rgds
Peter.          Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.