On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:07:45 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > I have a diskless 3GB ram atom system (mythtv frontend) and I have to
> > arrange swap over nbd for gcc and glibc emerges - others just get very
> > slow when getting to limits, or get flaky unless -j1 is used.  Havent
> > tried OO on it yet :)
>
> I'M flabbergasted. 3G is really a gigantic amount of memory and yet the
> machine still runs out of the stuff?

If it's diskless, where are /tmp and /var/tmp mounted? If they use tmpfs
the "memory" usage is understandable. If they use NFS the emerges must be
unbearably slow.

--
Neil Bothwick

"When you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic Voices...
that's nothinng - when you play it forward it installs Windows"