Am 2011-01-17 21:15, schrieb Mark Knecht:

> It appears that the partition is part of a RAID? Has the RAID itself
> protected you? Can you fail the drive, remove it, from the RAID, buy a
> new drive and get going again? I think any RAID other than RAID0 will
> withstand a single drive failure. right?

sdb6 is part of a mirror, yes. No loss of data so far, no failed arrays,
nothing.

Just that smartd-test failing last night and now I have to act.

The 3 arrays are OK and also fully on tape, that's not the problem.

My concern is about /dev/sdb5, which is the one and only PV inside the
lvm2-VG VG01 (oh my, I fear Volker right now telling me about that
LVM-stuff ;-) ). And VG01 hosts a few LVs, most of them easy to restore
or rebuild, one of them containing around 700GBs of mythtv-recordings.

Most of those are also on tape, but not all of them (because I run out
of space with tapes etc). Nothing really important, sure, it's "just
TV", but nice-to-have anyway.

So I am moving stuff from that LV to another new RAID-array, just to
save that data before sdb maybe crashes completely.

In general I am rebuilding that whole box lately, adding drives etc. but
I am not yet where I want to get because I hit one obstacle after the
other. I suspect the power-supply to be faulty ( I also get
chksum-errors in a zfs-fuse-pool, before and after using new disks ...
so ...)

RAM is good, at least as far memtest86+ is able to tell.

*sigh*

Thanks, Stefan