On 02/20/2011 10:03 AM, Mick wrote:
[snip]

> Have you had a look at:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml

Yes. Got some info there.

> Also, have a read of the InputClass section in man xorg.conf and the files in
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/.

This was helpful.

[snip]

>> In the past I used
>>
>> Option "ButtonMapping" "3 2 1"
>
> Do you want this to work for your touchpad with the synaptics driver, or do
> you want this to work with any physical buttons on the laptop, or even an
> external (e.g. USB) mouse?

The latter.

> If the former, then have a look at the NOTES at the end of the man synaptics
> page, where it mentions button mapping.

man pages (evdev and xorg.conf) were really helpful.

> For non tap buttons you can try setting this option in an InputClass section
> in your xorg.conf for an InputClass device mouse:
>
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier  "mouse catchall"
>         Driver      "evdev"
>         MatchIsPointer "on"
>         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
>         Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>         Option "ButtonMapping" "3 2 1"
> EndSection

I tried the above for the Identifier "evdev pointer catchall" in the
xorg.conf file and both the usb mouse and trackpoint get their buttons
inverted as desired. However the touchpad buttons do not get inverted. I
am using xorg.conf.d/ with the synaptics file: 10-synaptics.conf

Section "InputClass"
 Identifier "synaptics touchpad catchall"
 Driver     "synaptics"
 Option     "Protocol" "auto-dev"
 Option     "HorizEdgeScroll" "true"
 Option     "VertEdgeScroll" "true"
 Option     "AutoServerLayout"     "on"
EndSection

which apparently needs to be read before the keyboard conf: 30-keyboard.conf

Section "InputClass"
 Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
 MatchIsKeyboard "on"
 MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
 Driver     "evdev"
 Option     "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
 Option     "AutoSeverLayout" "on"
EndSection

otherwise my keyboard keybindings do not work. I have also tried the
pointer InputClass outside the xorg.conf file, that is, inside the
xorg.conf.d/ directory. As long as the 10-synaptics.conf file is read
first, the keyboard config works so do the usb mouse and trackpoint
(with inverted buttons). However so far I have not been able to get the
touchpad buttons to be inverted.

This is a minor thing I can deal with later.

Thanks,

--
Valmor