On 02/26/2011 03:13 AM, Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 26 February 2011 07:49:44 Adam Carter wrote:
>>> The nc command does nothing when run from the same host I'm trying to
>>> ssh in to.
>>
>> Ok so you may not have an ssh problem (so ignore the ssh specific stuff for
>> now) you have a network problem. It will be either routing or firewalling.
>> If you can ping the box, then its a firewall problem. So, try pinging it
>> first, and if that works then you know that routing is in place and its a
>> firewall problem. If that doesn't work try traceroute to see how far you
>> can get, and the last hop may provide clues as to why you can access it by
>> sending an ICMP message. Post back what you find.
>
> Depending on configuration of routers and firewalls ICMP packets may be
> dropped, so if plain ping/traceroute fails use httping and tcptraceroute (or
> traceroute -T -p 22)

I don't know why I would have a firewall or network problem, the set up
I have has been here for 8+ years.  The setup is like this.  In the
basement the cable internet comes in and into a cable modem. Then an
RJ45 out of the cable modem into an 8-port NETGEAR Router/Switch.
Upstairs is a hub with three computers connected and this hub is
connected to the switch in the basement.  The only problem I ever had
was when the dhcp address changed, then it needed to be added to the
PORT FORWARDING section of the switch with port 22.

Remember I can still log in remotely from Redhat and Suse boxes that
weren't updated with the new openssh.

When ssh'ing in from a remote updated Gentoo box the "Read from socket
failed: Connection reset by peer" message is displayed.  This message is
not displayed when trying to ssh in from inside the network.

Alright, back to the task at hand.  When I tell the switch to "Respond
to Ping on Internet WAN Port" the ping statistics are good:  3 packets
transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2007ms.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Is there anything in the sshd_config or ssh_config files that I need?
After the upgrade the new files were merged with the current.

Thanks
dhk