On Friday 25 February 2011 12:09:38 dhk wrote:
> On 02/24/2011 08:08 PM, dhk wrote:
> >>
> >> Just to state the obvious, have your tried something like:
> >>
> >> $ nc -v -z 123.123.123.123 22
> >> 123.123.123.123 (ssh) open
> >>
> >> from a WAN client to make sure that the port is open?
> >
> > I don't have the nc comand.  What package is it in?
>
> The nc command does nothing when run from the same host I'm trying to
> ssh in to.  I'm not sure what that means other than it can't make a
> connection.  With the -w option I get:
>
> # nc -w 3 -v -z 123.123.123.123 22
> ool-43505ef2.dyn.optonline.net [123.123.123.123] 22 (ssh) : Connection
> timed out

OK, this proves that you have a connectivity problem.  If the port was open
and there was a ssh server listening on port 22 for connections you would get
an "open" response.

BTW, nc is not necessary, you could use e.g. telnet to check the connection:

$ telnet 123.123.123.123 22
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.8p1-hpn13v10lpk

If instead of the above you are getting no response and you are confident that
you have not defined something other than port 22 for connections to your ssh
server, then there is perhaps a firewall problem?
--
Regards,
Mick