On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 18:27:59 +0000, Stroller wrote:

> There are some questions in your original post that I haven't
> addressed. I don't know that there's any "perfect" solution in
> existence for this kind of consumer management of media files. I'm
> pretty sure MythTV does some clever lookup of metadata at the IMDB and
> adds cover art and stuff, but MythTV's focus is on TV recording(s), not
> DVDs; it probably handles DVDs pretty well, has a decent search and
> stuff, but it's a whole larger proposition than my setup, a lot more
> work. Besides, you can probably rip DVDs with
> `dvdbackup && mkisofs` and then later worry about databasing (whether
> by importing them in to MythTV or otherwise).

MythTV uses a perl script for the IMDB lookup, you could adapt that to
another setup. However, MythTV also handles all the database stuff. A
recording is a recording, whether copied from a TV card or a DVD.

--
Neil Bothwick

"God created the world in six days.  On the seventh day he also decided
to create England... just to try out his Practical Joke Weather Machine."