On 9/3/2011, at 10:37pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 18:27:59 +0000, Stroller wrote:
>
>> ... I'm
>> pretty sure MythTV does some clever lookup of metadata at the IMDB and
>> adds cover art and stuff, but MythTV's focus is on TV recording(s), not
>> DVDs; it probably handles DVDs pretty well, has a decent search and
>> stuff, but it's a whole larger proposition than my setup, a lot more
>> work.
> MythTV uses a perl script for the IMDB lookup, you could adapt that to
> another setup. However, MythTV also handles all the database stuff. A
> recording is a recording, whether copied from a TV card or a DVD.

In referring to MythTV's "focus" one aspect I had in mind was that, last time I
read about it, I think MythTV kept DVD rips in a separate menu hierarchy from
TV. So if you want to look for an action movie, and you click on "TV" and
browse through the videos there, you only see the TV recordings; you then have
to exit out of TV and choose DVDs before you can browse what action genre DVDs
you have stored.

This may well have changed - they may well have unified that in the last 2 or 3
years - however MythTV is still quite a big undertaking. I think you'd want to
add in recording of TV to justify MythTV, and WAF isn't instantaneous.

MythTV is, by all accounts, absolutely gorgeous. I think it's probably the most
ideal home media centre option, but it's a heck of a lot more complicated than
whacking a bunch of files on a network share.

Thus I have some reservations about utilising MythTV's IMBD Perl script as it
surely populates its results to the MythTV MySQL DB. How to display the
results? YAMJ and similar might be worth a look because they do the same thing
but create pretty designed-for-TV HTML pages with links to the media files.

OP might also investigate XBMC.

Stroller.