On Saturday 19 March 2011 23:02:11 Jorge Martínez López wrote:
> I also have an ATI card and I do suffer the slow compositing. I solved
> it by switching back to the classic Mesa (instead of Gallium).

Thanks Jorge,

I switched to classic too and now it does not crash - however:

1. When I start kde compositing is disabled.

2. If I click on Resume Compositing, then the first time I try it I get a
notification saying:  "Compositing has been suspended by another application"
and it remains disabled.

3. The second time I try to resume compositing it works!

4. If at that stage I exit/restart KDE compositing is disabled again ... o_O

Why is this happening?  What other application is clashing or causing
compositing not to take?
--
Regards,
Mick