Bill Longman wrote:
On 03/20/2011 12:09 PM, Mick wrote:
On Sunday 20 March 2011 18:38:00 Mick wrote:
On Saturday 19 March 2011 23:02:11 Jorge Martínez López wrote:
I also have an ATI card and I do suffer the slow compositing. I solved
it by switching back to the classic Mesa (instead of Gallium).
Thanks Jorge,

I switched to classic too and now it does not crash - however:

1. When I start kde compositing is disabled.

2. If I click on Resume Compositing, then the first time I try it I get a
notification saying:  "Compositing has been suspended by another
application" and it remains disabled.

3. The second time I try to resume compositing it works!

4. If at that stage I exit/restart KDE compositing is disabled again ...
o_O

Why is this happening?  What other application is clashing or causing
compositing not to take?
BTW, I just tried this on an older Pentium 4 32bit box with an ATI Radeon X600
(RV380) and it is exhibiting similar symptoms, except that if I try to resume
compositing a second time kwin crashes.
I have an AMD Phenom II X4 940 with an Radeon 4870 that loves to crash
when I turn on compositing. OpenGL works wonderfully until it crashes
kwin. XRender chews up so much CPU I'd rather not have it.

I have an AMD Athlon II X4 635 with an onboard Radeon 4200 that loves to
crash when I turn on compositing.

Both these boxes have SB700/SB800 chipsets. I use xdm on the former and
manually run X on the other. Same problem on both.

I did not have this problem in xorg-server 1.7 series.

I have a very similar setup and it works fine here, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb 3.2GHz with a Nvidia GT-220 video card. I also have the SB700/SB800 chipset as well, Gigabyte mobo. The biggest difference I see is the video card as far as hardware is concerned.

Software, I'm on xorg-server-1.9 here. I never tried the older series on this rig. I also still have a xorg.conf file too. May not matter but just upgraded to a 2.6.38 kernel. Also, no hal here either which is why I went with that xorg version during my install.

I hope this little bit of info helps in some small way. If you need more info about my setup, let me know.

Dale

:-)  :-)