On Saturday 02 April 2011 23:47:42 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> Yes. the script that I use to start up and enter the chroot for each
> system not only does the usual mounting of /dev/ and /proc in the
> chroot, it also rsyncs /etc/portage and /var/lib/portage/world* with the
> real target. Make.conf has to be maintained manually, because there are
> settings in the two that need to be different, although I suppose I could
> split out the common settings, USE, CHOST etc, into a separate file and
> source that.

In my case the chroot is identical in structure to the real target, apart from
the number of cores, so I can copy make.conf into the chroot without risk.

> > to those on its target? And do you nfs-mount only the PKGDIR, or the
> > whole of /usr/portage/ ?
>
> Just PKGDIR and DISTDIR, I have an NFS exported directory that contains a
> global DISTDIR and individual PKGDIRS, as well as my and layman's
> overlays.

I'm hoping not to have to use any overlays here, mostly because the target box
is going to be a LAN server, so shouldn't need any cutting-edge versions of
anything.

My setup mounts /usr/portage over nfs from the target; it's going to contain
the
latest tree for rsync'ing clients from, so it's the master version.

Interesting - many thanks. It's all getting quite involved.

--
Rgds
Peter