On Monday 02 May 2011 23:07:00 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The latest version of baselayout is over six weeks old, so I'd go for
> >> that.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Neil Bothwick
> >
> > Life's a crap shoot. (As are all my index futures trades today.) Sounds
> > good.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
>
> OK, I'm writing this from an updated Gentoo VM running in Virtualbox
> on my (as yet) not updated Gentoo server. Things went well. The only
> semi-issue that came up for me so far was the rc-sys="" variable not
> being set. The way upgrade doc is written I had the impression that
> this only mattered if I was in a machine that ran VMs on it and not to
> be done in the VM itself. Seems that you really want rc_sys to be set
> for any Gentoo install I guess.

Ah! I forgot to mention this - it showed up on mine too.  You need to read
this /etc/rc.conf section:
# This is the subsystem type. Valid options on Linux:
# ""        - nothing special
# "lxc"     - Linux Containers
# "openvz"  - Linux OpenVZ
# "prefix"  - Prefix
# "uml"     - Usermode Linux
# "vserver" - Linux vserver
# "xen0"    - Xen0 Domain
# "xenU"    - XenU Domain
# If this is commented out, automatic detection will be attempted.
# Note that autodetection will not work in a prefix environment or in a
# linux container.
#
# This should be set to the value representing the environment this file is
# PRESENTLY in, not the virtualization the environment is capable of.
#rc_sys=""
rc_sys=""

I've used the "nothing special" option, but yours might need to be something
different on the VMhost.  The guest would be "nothing special" I would think.
(Not sure what the "prefix" is ...
--
Regards,
Mick