On 2011-05-21, Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 21/5/2011, at 5:13am, Pandu Poluan wrote:
>> Due to the increase of spam/phishing emails received by my office, I
>> decided to explore the idea of implementing a spamfiltering 'frontend'
>> in front of my email server.
>>
>> Here's how I plan to do it:
>>
>> fetchmail (G) --> postfix (G) --> amavisd+spamassassin+database (G)
>> --> postfix (G) --> current email back-end (WS) --> clients (W)
>>
>> (G) = the single Gentoo server working as mailfilter
>> (WS) = mail server on Windows Server
>> (W) = various Windows clients (XP and 7)
>>
>> I need fetchmail because currently we still use a hosting company, at
>> least until August when we host everything on our own. Then, we'll
>> drop fetchmail and expose postfix for the world to deliver the mails
>> to.
>
> You shouldn't need amavisd / spamassassin, once you're exposing Postfix to
> the outside world, if you configure it well.
>
> You should do things like checking that the DNS name matches the helo
> response given by the server trying to send you mail (this alone filters out
> a good deal of spam) and be able to use things like DKIM, SPF and even
> SpamHaus.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys_Identified_Mail
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework
> http://www.spamhaus.org/
>
> (SpamHaus says "free for personal use upto x,000 messages per period", but
> they don't mind business use as long as you're under that limit; still it's
> cheap, once you've used the free account to prove the service)
>
> Using fetchmail you're unable to reject mail in the same way, so you have to
> use stuff like amavisd / spamassassin.
>
> Lots of discussion of this on the Postfix mailing list. You should
> definitely read that for a week or two before deploying.
>
> Stroller.

Well, we've been receiving obvious spams from @yahoo.com, @gmail.com,
and these are valid addresses (apparently people who got phished).
Plus, the Gentoo document I linked earlier also linked to a document
that considers RBLs as... not quite effective.

In addition, if I rely only on DKIM+SPF+RBL, there will be collateral
damage, i.e., false positives. For business reasons, we'd rather have
false negatives (one or two spams got through every week) rather than
false positives. In addition, a cursory check on our clients indicates
that only a few percentage of them implemented SPF. Much less DKIM.

Due to the above reasons, I need a spamfiltering solution that relies
on analyzing the messages themselves.

Rgds,
--
Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer