On Tuesday 09 August 2005 08:13 am, C.Beamer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When I previously posted and got the response below, it may as well
> have been hieroglyphics because I had no idea what Bob was talking
> about.  However, when I went back to square one and got to the point
> of compiling the kernel, I still used genkernel, but ran the
> makemenuconfig utility and saw that the format was as below.  So, I
> made the changes that Bob suggested.  Now, I _don't_ get the errors as
> in my previous attempt and as displayed below.
>
> Bob Sanders wrote:
> >> After attempting to connect to the xserver, I got my shell prompt
> >> back again with the following printed on the screen:
> >>
> >> New driver is "i810" (==)Using default built in configuration
> >> (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device --> I have no idea what this
> >> means (EE) GARTinit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (no such file or
> >> directory) (EE)I810(0) AGPGART support is not available. Make
> >> sure your kernel has agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel
> >> module is loaded (EE)Screens found, but non have useable
> >> configuration Fatal server error: no screens found i
> >
> > /dev/fb0 is the framebuffer. No need to worry about that if using
> > X. But if running a splash screen, then it needs to be defined in
> > the kernel. There is a how-to on gentoo-wiki.org explaining how to
> > setup the system and kernel.
> >
> > The other, you'll need to re-config your kernel to include -
> >
> > Device Drivers --> I2C Support --> <M> I2C support <*> I2C device
> > interface I2C Hardware Bus Support --> <M > Intel 810/815
> >
> > And -
> >
> > Device Drivers --> Character Devices --> Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx
> > and E7x05 chipset support
>
> However, x still won't start and I get the  message 'Cannot run in
> framebuffer mode'.
>
> I don't think that I changed anything related to framebuffers when I
> ran makemenuconfig.
>
> It was also my understanding that although I could use a vga statement
> in my grub.conf file to specify a framebuffer device, that with a
> gentoo patched kernel, I didn't need to.
>
> So, any idea where I made my mistake?
>
> Regards,
>
> Colleen

I didn't see your earlier post(s). so I can only offer general advice.

When you configure the kernel, you need to be sure you have support  for all
your specific hardware, like cpu, motherboard, video card, USB devices, etc.
Also, any feature you want, like frame buffer support, different file
systems, etc.  Once you get the correct .config file for your particular
system and kernel, you can import it into menu or xconfig on subsequent
kernel compiles, so save a copy of it somewhere once you get it right.

Some items do better compiled as modules, and some need to be built into your
kernel. For example, the i2c sensors items do better as modules, and then you
need to place entries for those modules in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel
file so they autoload on boot.

You also need to configure X after you get Gentoo installed, and rebooted.
 This doc should help.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

This only works if you have the kernel support for your card compiled in.

 If you still have trouble, another way to get a functional config file for X
if is to boot to a knoppix-like live cd, which configures X automatically,
and copy over the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from it into your Gentoo /etc/X11
directory, and reboot.

I've never liked genkernel myself, so I always do mine manually. To do this
correctly, you need to know what hardware you have, and find it in
menuconfig- Sometimes you need to dig down a level to find things. I prefer
xconfig over menuconfig.

The kernel section in the Gentoo install doc is pretty good- review it again.

Robert Crawford