David W Noon wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:20:02 +0200, Neil Bothwick wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files:

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:57:58 +0100, David W Noon wrote:
[snip]
Remember: we are discussing the COMPLETE DELETION of a
package, not an upgrade or rebuild.
We are discussing unmerge behaviour, unmerging is part of the upgrade
and rebuild processes.
Now I see why we are talking/writing at cross purposes.

What I am proposing I would apply only to -C or -c options on an emerge
command, not the internal actions during an upgrade/rebuild.  I have
stated that several times in this thread, so I thought I had made
myself clear.

Even if the -C option is used, I would still want it to be something extra to remove config files. As stated before, I sometimes emerge -C a package then emerge it again. I still want the config files to be left alone tho. I have also had to do this before for *B*lockers where portage couldn't do it itself for whatever reason.

I would think this would be a idea on this. Do a emerge -C to get the regular way and a emerge -CC to remove everything literally, including config files.

As someone else posted, I seriously doubt the devs will do this. Possible but not likely. I like the idea but still want it to be something extra to get it and not the default for sure.

Dale

:-)  :-)